The Bestseller Forums

Get feedback, ask questions, find answers

Home Forums Book Hooks Barb – Book Hook Reply To: Barb – Book Hook

Adam Jarvis

October 21, 2020 at 12:49 am

Barb – good question, and I won’t pretend to be an expert – but…

I think the blurb is an attempt to draw your reader in by summarizing the ‘hook’ of your story – what’s the scary stuff that’s about to happen and what’s at stake, so usually that means revealing at least the inciting incident, so we know the kind of story we are getting into, then hooking us to see how the main characters find their way out of whatever trouble they’re in. (And trouble can be an internal mental struggle, as your character Paula appears to be in for.)

The book hook, or at least as far as I can tell from the course we took, is meant to be the elevator pitch, as Darren suggests – that really short, punchy pitch that when someone says ‘what’s your book about?’, you can deliver as basically a one-liner. It’s like taking the blurb and distilling it to all but the absolutely essential details to communicate what your story is.

(Anyway, that’s my take on it. Some others have had different ideas, treating the book hook as more of a tag line, or the thing that would appear as a subtitle on the cover.)

X