The Bestseller Forums

Get feedback, ask questions, find answers

Home Forums Progress Logs Denise: Progress Log Reply To: Denise: Progress Log

Denise Ganley

October 19, 2020 at 5:08 am

I did a little bit of editing this past week, but not nearly as much as I had intended.

I had the first 10 pages of the Cadaver Dog Mystery reviewed by a crime genre writer as part of Crime Bake and that was extremely helpful. She said great dialogue and voice (yay!), but maybe the story doesn’t start in the right place. So I’ll keep that in mind for later. I also talked through a couple of story plot blocks with a writer friend and I think that will help me move forward.

I also read the book, The Heroine’s Journey by Gail Carriger which was pretty mind-blowing and I highly recommend this book. It’s a different story arc than the Hero’s Journey and has nothing to do with gender. For example, the recent Wonder Woman movie is a perfect example of the Hero’s Journey structure, but Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and even the whole series is an example of the Heroine’s Journey. I have had so much trouble plotting and this book made me realize my Cadaver Dog Mystery is a Heroine’s Journey structure and I have a lot of the elements already in place. Now I can see what is missing and add those elements to the middle. I’m pretty excited about this and plan to try outlining/plotting again. My goal is to have a solid outline by Halloween.

I’ll be doing a modified NaNo. 30k words in Nov, and 30k words in Dec, to get this draft done. But I need some tent poles in an outline to be able to sustain daily 1k word days. Since Sisters in Crime is sponsoring NaNo this year, we have a lot of activities where the two communities will be merged and I plan on taking advantage of that energy and harnessing the momentum and inspiration. There will be lots of writing sprints, write-ins, Facebook Lives, etc. I’m looking forward to it.

Also, I ordered a bike. I need more ways to exercise and adventure safely and trick my brain into working on story ideas.

X