The Bestseller Forums

Get feedback, ask questions, find answers

Home Forums Blurbs Blurb attempt…A Scourge of Shadows (a YA/Adult high fantasy- Book 2) Reply To: Blurb attempt…A Scourge of Shadows (a YA/Adult high fantasy- Book 2)

Kell Shaw

September 7, 2020 at 11:37 am

Hi Sandra. High fantasy is a great genre. Here are my thoughts on your blurb. It’s packed full of interesting things, but needs to be clearer.

First, I think you should spend a few lines introducing the world a bit. The cool stuff in high fantasy is what the world is like – and it does sound interesting with talking trees, diplomats and others.

Next, maybe clarify why Chamakin is being united with his wolf? Is it a custom? Is one of them dying?

Next, the key crisis – Thera get whisked away to solve a political mystery? What happened to her boyfriend? What’s the emergence? Why are people after Thera?

At the moment, there’s too many names, fantasy titles and situations packed into the blurb for it to breathe. It feels a bit jumbled and doesn’t sell your story.

There’s lots of good ideas in it, but I think you need unpick at this a bit more first.

Cheers.

X