The Bestseller Forums

Get feedback, ask questions, find answers

Home Forums Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself Reply To: Introduce Yourself

Chris Lowenstein

September 2, 2020 at 6:21 am

Hello Academates,

My name is Chris Lowenstein and I live in San Mateo, California, USA, about 30 minutes south of San Francisco.

I like to read all kinds of things. I tend to become an enthusiast of a particular genre and then take a deep dive into that genre for a year or more at a time. I love historical fiction, nonfiction books about books (I’m an antiquarian bookseller, so those sorts of books tend to be work research), spy novels, and books about football (I am also an English teacher at an all-boys high school and my students have, over time, made me a football fan). During the school year, much of my time is spent reading and critiquing my students’ academic writing. My summers are often spent researching the past for my antiquarian book business.

It’s hard to name just a few favorite authors. Once I find an author I like, I tend to read multiple books by that author. Since I have to read “serious literature” during the school year, when I’m not in school, I like to read everything from popular authors like Jane Austen to Mario Puzo to Stephen King. I don’t read much fantasy or science fiction, but I was fascinated by Neal Stephenson’s book Cryptonomicon, and I admire J.R.R. Tolkien’s linguistic prowess. As a young girl, I loved and re-read many times the books of Laura Ingalls Wilder. I’ve just started a book called Paris Never Leaves You by Ellen Feldman. The thrillers of Robert Dugoni are also enjoyable. During the school year, I’m always re-reading the authors I teach — everyone from Benjamin Franklin to Frederick Douglass to Mark Twain to Sophocles and Shakespeare (Macbeth and Othello) to Mary Shelley to modern authors Jon Krakauer and August Wilson and others.

I don’t know what book I’m working on yet. I have almost a dozen ideas for books I might write, most of which are in different genres. I’m definitely going to need some advice on the criteria for determining which idea (if any) might make a viable book. I’ve done a preliminary outline for two of the books, but they currently have lots of plot holes, so I’m not sure they will work out.

My biggest writing dream is to finish a book and to see my book published and on a bookshelf in a shop. And maybe also for another person to read my book and enjoy it. A bestseller with a film or tv series would be nice, too. Anything that would eventually allow me to transition from teacher and antiquarian bookseller to making a living as a writer would be a dream come true. May as well dream big!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Avatar Chris Lowenstein. Reason: I always miss my own errors on the first proofread
X