The Bestseller Forums

Get feedback, ask questions, find answers

Home Forums Blurbs Ribbon Road – Blurb Reply To: Ribbon Road – Blurb

Laura Regan

September 4, 2020 at 10:58 am

Really love the plot of this book Adam and my younger self would have adored it too. For a blurb I think you will probably end up doing a lot of cutting to make it snappier. I’m not an expert blurb writer by any means but I’m sure there’s someone in the group with some more useful tips than I have 😁 The story itself sounds like a lot of fun and you definitely get a sense of Barbara from it which is great.

As for using string theory and linguistics as a theme for the blurb, it sounds interesting. I definitely think you have driven home the theme of ‘the world is not a story’ in your current blurb and I get your point about throwing off younger audiences with too much science but also kids are smarter than we give them credit for.

For example Phillip Pullman’s Dark Materials series is aimed at that age group and is based on the scientific principle of Dark Matter but he weaved a fantasy narrative around the scientific research. It was one of my favourite book series as a kid and some of it went over my head when I was younger but in no way hampered my understanding of the story or my love for it.

So you could use your blurb as it is to get them interested to read the story then sneak attack them with some science when they get into it 🤣

Hope this was some help!

Laura

X