The Bestseller Forums

Get feedback, ask questions, find answers

Home Forums Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself Reply To: Introduce Yourself

My Ly

September 2, 2020 at 9:01 pm

Hi Academates! My name is My (pronounced exactly as it’s spelt) and I’m based in London.

Favourite genres include any type of thriller, I love a really fab psychological or crime thriller, crime, mystery, comedy, historical fiction and fantasy.

Some favourite authors include Margaret Atwood, Ian Rankin, Hilary Mantle, Sarah Pinborough (her podcast with The Two Marks is just hilarious!!), Maggie O’ Farrell, Neil Gaiman, Will Dean and Louise Candlish.

I’ll be working on a debut novel called ‘Next Of Kin’ which is a psychological thriller focused on the relationship of two half-sisters who have never met before. Having grown up in different countries, their father’s recent death propels their paths together and the novel is based on a tangled web of lies and deceit, exploring the extreme lengths someone can go to in order to get to know a new family member. Blood is supposed to be thicker than water … but can you really trust family?

I’m very much at the beginning stages and trying to work out what the plot line is, and also the elusive ‘hook’!

I’ll be burning the midnight oil and probably dipping in and out of sanity for the next three months as I juggle my full-time job with two courses (eeek!) – this one and an acting course – so apologises in advance if I’m not very ‘active’ on here for the next few months. I hope to be more active from December. My main protagonist is an actor/extra so I’ve decided to do a 12-week intensive acting course to put myself in the shoes of an actor (I’m an extra in my spare time so already have a good insight into that side of things), I just hadn’t quite envisaged that Covid-19 would delay my acting course to start in the same month as this writing course! *Rolls up sleeves and gets ready with matchsticks to keep my eyelids open*

My biggest writing dream is to get traditionally published and have my debut novel adapted for either a TV series or for film (I’m currently enjoying watching Little Fires Everywhere on Netflix, adapted from a novel by Celeste Ng and looking forward to watch the upcoming ITV adaptation of The Confessions of Frannie Langton, a gothic romance novel by Sara Collins).

Really looking forward to getting to know everyone and your novels across the next year 😉

X