The Bestseller Forums

Get feedback, ask questions, find answers

Home Forums Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself Reply To: Introduce Yourself

Kell Shaw

September 2, 2020 at 11:33 am

Let’s see – I’m in Sydney, Australia. I love spec fic, particularly epic fantasy. I also enjoy detective fiction (the more puzzle-based golden age stuff, or Japanese style). My favourite authors are Ursula Le Guin, Tanith Lee and Brandon Sanderson. Recently, I’ve enjoyed Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch, and Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir.

My previous novels often had me getting ‘lost’ while trying to worldbuild as I went; I spent eight years re-writing the same detective novel and it’s been parked for now. I started an epic fantasy book, but have recently parked it as I can’t figure out the ending. I think it’s still good, so will come back to it later on.

Currently, I’m finishing off a world-building setting bible for my next project, which is an urban fantasy book (open-ending series). So projects are a) finish world-building book (which will also double up as an RPG if I get that far) b) write urban fantasy book c) finish off epic fantasy book. Hopefully I can get all of that done during the course. I figure I’ll use the currently unwritten urban fantasy book with all of the lessons on plotting and structuring to see it through from start to finish, then try to retroactively apply them to the unfinished piece.

My biggest dream is to get all of this stuff finished and is a really good shape for publishing. I want to write really solid books that people enjoy reading, and even complete a mega epic fantasy series for the ages.

X